First of all, HAPPY MARDI GRAS
Kind of a big deal down here, so I’m glad I write these ahead of time. If all goes well, I won’t know who or where I am by the end of tomorrow. I would like to do something parade-ish for Shadowrun: New Orleans, something like the Final Fantasy VIII assassination, but man…scripting that out would be a goddamn nightmare.
I thought I was at Proof-of-Concept stage. I was wrong.
- I finally began working with combats and more complex triggers. After getting frustrated at the finicky-ness of the Hong Kong editor, I finally managed to push through and get some real work done.
- The game is now functional through the first combat. Also, I added some combat. There are currently two sequences, with plans for a gauntlet-style third to wrap up the prologue.
- I fleshed out the dialogue in the prologue as well as added a new NPC just to vomit some more exposition at the character.
- One of the guys at Shadowrun Identity made this custom loading screen for me; here’s what it looks like with the (current) prologue chapter loading text.
- I began work on a new map. Don’t know if it’ll turn into anything, but I just enjoy architecture so I made stuff.
This is starting to look like a real project!
My goal for…probably next Tuesday, is to be able to link the prologue and the recruitment chapters together. This may take more time than I think, but if I can get up to that point, I’ll basically be at where “How We Live, How We Die” is at. And while I made fun of that UGC for being short, only now am I beginning to realize how much work actually goes into these things. Originally I wanted “Episode 1” ready to go, or at least in editing/playtesting phase, by end of March. I’m still wary about being able to make it there, depending on where I cut off Episode 1.
The good news is, while I’m sometimes a bit scattered, everything I’ve done seems to be largely able to be built off of. Meaning it’d be very unexpected for me to take a map or a scene and go, “AW FUCK IT” and toss it in the trash. This last map I worked on because I was kinda burnt out doing stuff I should be doing may be the first one, but it’s so fun I think so far that I’ll try to keep it if at all possible.
That’s it for this devlog. It feels like not a lot got done, in terms of reporting in, but this feels like a profound turning point in the development of this UGC. I feel far more confident with the editor than I ever have before. I wouldn’t dare declare “mastery” (if such a thing is even possible), but I like to think I’m doing all right.